Thursday, August 24, 2006

Christine Hamilton, Transsexuals & Dale Winton

Wed eve I had a big group of people in to see the show from Stonewall Scotland, and I hosted a little drinks do afterwards for them. If you don't know what Stonewall do, then have a look here.

www.stonewall.org.uk

Abolishing Section 28, lowering age of consent, getting immigration rights for foreign partners of UK homos, ending ban on gays in the military, securing civil partnerships....that's just for starters. Basically, if you are gay, really gay, a bit gay, or just know someone who is, then Stonewall is the cornerstone organisation that helped achieve your equal rights. Support them if you can! I host a lot of events for them to rally the troops, and we've raised well over 600 pounds for Stonewall at Duckie this year with our weekly veggie barbecue.

Yesterday was much better than monday. Did a photo shoot with Nicholas Parsons (!!!) for an Edinburgh Fringe photo competition, and then was a guest on "Lunch with the Hamiltons" - you know, Neil and Christine. Shelley Cooper, a performer who is also a transsexual, was on the show too. Christine just couldn't get her head round it, and said "Surely that's every parent's nightmare to find out your child wants a sex change!" Ummm......no Christine, I think it's every parent's nightmare to find out their child is a rapist, mass murderer, suicide bomber, pedophile, etc etc etc. For chrissake! Put things in perspective woman!

Friends John and Mark (M. is Chelsea Kelsey of the London Readers Wifes- blog perviously featured here as must-read!) came to see the show last night- nice audience- a few chuckles, so I think most people got it. I had a nice review in the Scotsman too- with a photo. By the way, if you're bored and want to read the reviews etc. go here

www.mamacassfamilysingers.com

funnily enough that's one domain name that hadn't been taken already!

Dinner in Monster Mash, my new fave place here in the 'Burgh, and then on to see Demetri Martin, a stand up i've always wanted to check out. He is clever and, well, clever. Little laughs, no big ones, but that's ok! He's complex. He uses family photos. He's from New Jersey. His show and my show have some little similarities. He reminds me of my long lost college friend Adam Brown. I wish Demetri was my friend.

Simon Amstell was at the show too and came up to me in the queue and said thanks for going to see his show....and was wondering why, in his show when he mentioned the ridiculous posit that fluffy, camp Dale Winton might be responsible for the grave situation in Palestine, did I get all excited and start jumping out of my seat.

"Because Dale is Jewish, Simon. In a round about way, perhaps he is even in a teeny tiny way, responsible for the situation in Palestine."

A look of shock on Simon's face. "Dale's JEWISH?"

Yup.

Now why do I know that??? Simon Amstell is Jewish. Why DOESN'T he know that??? I have no idea. Why is the Jewish Chronicle phoning ME for an interview? Why do I have a brain rolodex of every Jewish person working in the UK media three ring circus? Why do I mention Eisenberg's Deli in my one-woman show? Why can I sing the Dreidel song? I even had Gefilte fish balls for my dinner the other night.

Oy vey.

No comments: