Sunday, January 21, 2007

knitting up a storm...

I have a few New Year's resolutions. They aren't the usual won't smoke/drink/eat/have any fun. And for that very reason my resolutions have been progressing quite nicely, thank you. Firstly, I am filing for divorce from my estranged husband, a lovely, generous and mysterious chap who shall remain nameless and blameless. It's all perfectly amicable, no kids/pets/furniture to fight over and our marriage of nearly 14 years shall quietly come to an end very soon. Once that's all done & dusted I just have to wait for the Strawberry Blonde to pop the question, now that we gayzzz are able to get all civil partnered up. I'm thinking ceremony at Westminster Abbey followed by champagne tea at Claridge's.

My other resolution is to learn how to knit. I actually learned just before Christmas, but it has been since the advent of 2007 that I am not ashamed to show my stitches in broad daylight. After a preliminary sage green "neck warmer" for the SB (OK, it was meant to be a potholder but it came out the wrong shape) I have just completed my very first ever ever knitted anything.
It is a gorgeous scarf made out of knobbly welsh wool in graded shades of copper & green. Looks great with the SB's flowing titian locks so I think I'll relinquish it. I have been trying to teach myself to purl all afternoon and gave myself a headache which was cured only by a piece of homemade carrot cake. My aim is to knit something- anything- for my impending nephew. The SB's sister is currently ripening a baby boy, due in the next month or so. It's the first time we'll be aunties. We already have his visits to London planned- art galleries, theatre, gay nightclubs. I think his father wants him to be a footballer but we're going to do our best to make sure he grows up to be an avant garde contemporary dancer.

By the way, if you want to learn how to knit, buy some cool wool, or just hang out in one of the loveliest little independent shops in London, check out www.iknit.org.uk. Gerard and Craig are the genies behind this magical place, in the real world and on the web. They came to Duckie on saturday and made some gorgeous pom poms for the pom pom gallery. Check out their blog for photos. I met Gerard & Craig because they kindly sent me a little gift for the opening night of my show- a knitted breast, with a tantalising note reading "Come and see us and we'll teach you to knit the other one". My skills aren't yet up to knitting a matching boob (must say the solo tit is looking kinda lonely) but we all need goals, eh!

No comments: