Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Just call me Lady ....

Wasn't this Christmas and New Year a weird one? Or is it just me? I felt so overwhelmed by the amout of pure crap and dross in the shops, on tv & radio, gifts under my own (hot pink) christmas tree it turned me into a right old scroogette. Couldn't wait to ditch Britain for a bit of continental tack.

Dashed off to France on Boxing Day- drove down as per usual these days. The ferry's so cheap because everybody thinks it's too chavvy (um, as if Ryanair is any better- it's just full of middle class twits) As a result, we got a nice roomy booth in the cafeteria, surrounded by screaming snot nosed children and truckers with questionable facial hair and warm tins of lager. The Strawberry Blonde came down with a mystery illness which manifested in her puking all the way down the French motorway, from Calais to Carcassonne. Charmante, n'est-ce pas? I nursed her back to health with Soupe de Poulet just in time for New Years Eve and the excesses that entails.

We were on our way to a big house party outside of Nimes (hosted by our friend Nigel, a QC, who delights in fois gras for breakfast and whose designer farmhouse is lit only by candles and gaslight!) We stopped off at a desolate beach near Sete to stretch our lallies and take some photos. Returned to the car to find a smashed window and missing bags, nicked by marauding opportunists. The Strawberry Blonde lost just about everything, much of it sentimental value. Yours truly spent 2 hrs in the company of a humourless Gendarme reporting the whole annoying incident.
Eventually made it to said party, and spent 2 lovely days in the presence of the poshest people I know. You know you're the odd one out when you're the only one at the table who hasn't got membership to the Athenaeum.

Back to La Maisonette (ie our humble mountain lodge) for a low-key birthday celebration (no i'm not saying how old I am)
The SB and I went on an extended mountain trek during which I spotted a live pine marten, a dead cow, a lost grey crane, and then got lost ourselves and wound up on the edge of a cliff. I was so scared I couldn't even cry. We eventually found our way back after much uphill climbing. My ass is killing me. Still.

So, why should you call me Lady? Well, I am soon to be made a subject of HMQE2. Tune into the next blog entry to find out how I managed to take my "Life in the UK" test in under 6 minutes. I'll also uncover the truth behind LearnDirect.
A bientot! x x

1 comment:

Erssie said...

Your www.amylame.com site is down, have you crashed or moved or given it up? You might not know that your website isn't working, if you are like me then you don't constantly log on to your own website to check it is still there and read about yourself do you? Thought I would put a link up to you, obviouly can't at the mo. Hope you are OK. Happy New Year to you and your SB